The LLM Medical Law and Ethics is an innovative, flexible programme designed for law and non-law graduates who would like to gain essential in-depth knowledge of Medical Law. Whether you want to progress within a firm specialising in medical law or simply want to know more about how medical law works in practice, this programme will provide you with the knowledge to help you achieve your ambitions.
When you study the LLM Medical Law and Ethics degree with us you will:
- Be taught by subject matter experts, former and current practitioners and research and teaching focused academics
- Focus on legal practice, not just theory
- Benefit from strategic partnerships with firms, regulators and accreditation bodies
- Learn about Legal Technology by selecting to study modules in legal technology
- Improve your employability by gaining important transferable skills and mapping your career with our careers team
This LLM Medical Law and Ethics course covers areas such as medical negligence, refusal of treatment, requests for treatment and the future of medical liability. The award-linked module for this programme (Medical Law and Ethics) is purposely designed to put medical law into context, enabling you to learn how to apply complex theoretical concepts to real world client situations. With the support and guidance of our experienced professional tutors, you’ll gain valuable insight into the real-world and practical applications of the law to ensure medical practices remain ethical and safe.
In addition to a general induction to the programme, there is a two-week induction covering the Key Principles of the English Legal System. This is compulsory for non-law students, but also open to law students wanting a refresher in the fundamentals of the law of England and Wales. This would be useful for any student who has taken a considerable break from legal education.
To help prepare you for your dissertation you’ll study a range of compulsory and further optional Research Methods Training sessions in your first terms.
Please note that, due to Home Office regulations, students who require a Student Route visa to study with us are not permitted to study online and can only choose face-to-face taught modules
Terms 1 & 2 (full-time) or 1-4 (part-time)
Two week induction: For non-law students this includes a compulsory introduction to the law of England and Wales which must be completed before commencing your first modules.
You will complete:
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Research Methods Training (sessions throughout Terms 1 and 2 / 1-4)
You may then choose three from the list of elective modules* which includes modules such as:
- Mental Health Law
- International Criminal Law
- International Human Rights
Term 3 (Full-Time) Or 5 & 6 (Part-Time)
- Dissertation in Medical Law and Ethics